Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Singles of 2011

"Lonley Boy" by The Black Keys
This was tough because I like to only have 1 single per group, but the Black Keys had two stellar singles from two different albums this year. (The other was "Howlin for You" from Brothers). It took me a long time to get with the program (Tighten Up deserved a place in last year's list), but now I'm hooked on the Black Keys. Sometimes all you wanna hear is some good old-fashioned guitar-driven rock n roll. How they got put in the Alternative category of the Grammys I'll never know.


"Rolling in the Deep" by Adele
Fantastic. She has that fabulous voice, and then you add a great a beat, some soul, and a song that isn't just some characterless pop song. I also love Rumour Has It, Someone Like You, and Turning Tables.


"Young Blood" by The Naked and Famous
A new band from New Zealand with a unique sound chracteristic of new electronic trends in alternative music.


"If You Wanna" by The Vaccines
The Vaccines worked on stripping down songs to the essentials. The result? Irresistible, simple rock songs like this. I dare you to resist.


"Holocene" by Bon Iver
beautiful. And the video was shot in what looks a bit like paradise to me: Iceland.


"Hellcat Spangled Shalalala" by Arctic Monkeys
A laid back 60s summer afternoon. My favorite songs from the new album? Suck It And See, That's Where You're Wrong, and Don't Sit Down Cause I've Moved Your Chair. This song has an interest factor that landed it on the list.



"We Found Love" by Rihanna
One of her best.


"Lotus Flower" by Radiohead
Whatever Radiohead comes up with next, it's usually interesting. Though I always skip 2 tracks on the disappointingly short album, I like the single--and I even like the video in all its Thom Yorke weirdness.


"Sophia" by Laura Marling
Laura continues to evolve in her sound and mature in her music and her presence. "Sophia" is indicative of a new twang and hint of blues that was introduced on the new album.


"Cruel" by St. Vincent
Weird, interesting, original. And I wanted to put someone new on the list. I think my favorite song from the album is Strange Mercy, but this is the single, alors voila quoi.




Honorable Mention


"Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster the People


"Helplessness Blues" by Fleet Foxes


"Still Life" by the Horrors


"Edge of Glory" by Lady Gaga


"Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj
If you want to listen to this one without swearing or seeing scantily clad people, go here.


"Midnight City" by M83



Notably missing: Coldplay (one word: bleagh ;-D actually the album is okay, but no more than okay.)

No comments:

Post a Comment