Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Recent Read: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

I had to wait a long time to finally get my hands on Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It was worth the wait.

17-year-old Karou is not your typical art student. Her blue hair is natural. Her art school sketchbooks are filled with fantastic chimeras which her friends believe to be imagined, but she knows them as her very real foster family. What she doesn't know is who she is, how she came to be raised in a family of monsters, or why she is sent on errands to collect teeth in exotic locales.

It was the kind of book I wanted to wait to read until I was settled, with no distractions, so I could immerse myself in the world. It's funny, exciting, romantic, sad, complicated, hard to put down. I loved the unique (and occasionally weird) world Taylor's created, which unfolds page by page as mysteries are explained, mythology revealed. The spunky, tattooed protagonist is tough, smart, independent, and very likeable. Plus it's set in Prague, a rich, slightly spooky setting brought to life in such a way that I now have an insatiable desire to go there asap (consider yourself warned). For once, I'm glad to see that I've read the first in a series.

No comments:

Post a Comment