Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Recent Recommendations: September2012

A conversation in books (literally) (like really literally, not figuratively literally)

100 Abandoned Houses is a collection of photos of abandoned houses in Detroit

Murmuration A video of a large flock of starlings (a mumuration) flying in incredible patterns over the River Shannon. Pretty amazing.

Library Sleeve Facing just go to the site to see what it is.

Dog Shaming Dog-lovers you'd better check this out! Dogs shamefully confess their crimes via written notes tied around their necks. Very funny (although there are a few, where I thought--your dog has a serious problem; this is not funny). A recent gem: "I just ate an entire pound of tender brisket my family was going to eat for their last meal before the fast for Yom  Kippur. I guess their fast starts now. I'm atoning." I love it when they have a photo of the crime/embarassment  itself: "I tried drinking from the display toilets at Lowe's." "I stole a baby doll from a six-year-old and ripped its head off!" Endless entertainment.

Martin Middlebrook's "Faces of Hope" photographs taken in Afghanistan. Beautiful.

Patrick Ness gave a lecture at the World Writers' Conference in Edinburgh this year on censorship entitled (?) "Censorship in the Internet Age." An interesting take on a hackneyed topic.

Dolce and Gabbana's Fall 2012 Ad Campaign 
I love this--the big, loud italian family; baroque-style clothes (i'm thinking architecture and objets d'art as much as fashion) in the Italian countryside, beautiful abnormally tall Italian women in an old-fashioned setting. And, of course, the clothes are gorgeous.

Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket) and Maira Kalman sing an ode to libraries. "Without libraries we'd be dumb."

Book Maze

You've all seen Gangnam Style right? But have you seen Deadpool vs Gangnam Style? I also quite like Deadpool vs. Comic-Con 2012. I kinda love this deadpool guy. And I love that a Korean pop song has become so internationally popular.

No comments:

Post a Comment