Words cannot express what good that weekend did for me.
For one, there's the location. Southeast Washington is not a lush forest. It's the opposite--dry and dusty with rolling hills, specifically Horse Heaven Hills. On the one side is the green, irrigated valley of vineyards, orchards, and other farms. On the other side are wheat fields, golden and rustling in the breeze. Exploring this landscape is one of the highlights of each trip.
As I've gotten older, I've really come to appreciate getting away from the city.
But the best part of the trip is the people. My grandmother had 9 children, many of whom have large families of their own. I spent many summers coming up here to visit my grandma and play with my cousins. We spent the weekend sitting outdoors in the shade chatting and playing games--sometimes late into the night. (I got a few photographs of my cousins' children that are absolute gems, but I feel funny posting them on the web, so you'll just have to take my word for it.)
I treasure the relationships I have with my extended family. They're all such wonderful people. And I feel like I have my grandparents to thank.

Allison,
ReplyDeleteThese photos are great! Also, we don't mind if you post the photos you took of Newel. We'd love to have copies. :D