As an undergrad I studied abroad twice. I went to Paris for four months in 2004 and London for four months in 2005. This was pre-smartphone, but the internet was big, and in both places we were cut off from regular internet access. We spent all our time exploring, talking, and maybe doing homework. One of the biggest differences from one year to the next was cameras. I was one of a few with a digital camera in Paris, whereas in London everyone had one and it was outdated instead of state of the art. A digital camera made endless picture taking a possibility, and I started to realize that I was experiencing everything through a lens, instead of through my own eyes. So I stopped. I decided my priority was to experience everything and be present rather than to have a photo proving I saw such and such.
This video made me think of that, and it made me sad that life has come to this for so many. I personally don't have a smartphone, but I have seen this in friends. And obviously my view has changed about photography, as I've become interested in it. But I always want to be present in my life. I set the camera to the side sometimes.
No comments:
Post a Comment