Pages

Monday, December 30, 2013

Picture This: Journey

Journey by Aaron Becker

A young girl goes to her room when she can't find anyone to play with her. She spots a red crayon on the floor, draws a door on the wall and walks through to discover another world.

I think this book will win the gold next year. This is Becker's first picture book, but it is a wonder. The watercolor and ink illustrations are gorgeous and imaginative and detailed. He has created connections throughout the story in small ways (for instance, did you notice that the boy with the purple crayon that we meet at the end is just outside her door at the beginning?). The full-color pages of cities are impressive, but even his use of white space and muted colors enhances the story. It's a story of imagination, creativity, and friendship. The New York Tiems called it a "masterwork" and I'd have to agree. After a debut this stunning, I'm very much looking forward to what Aaron Becker will create in the future. (see a video of about the process of creating this book here.)


No comments:

Post a Comment