Pages

Friday, January 24, 2014

Recent Read: Eat, Brains, Love

Eat, Brains, Love by Jeff Hart

Jake is a low-key stoner who likes to play video games in his basement, until he morphs into a flesh-eating zombie during lunch in the school cafeteria and devours a large number of his classmates. Soon he’s on the run from the government with the hottest girl—now zombie—in school.

Well, turns out it takes a clever title & cover spoofing Eat, Pray, Love and a funny first few pages to get me to pick up a zombie book. I was always repelled by the idea of zombies, but I actually enjoyed this book. Though I know next to nothing about zombie mythology, I thought this one had an interesting take. The story is told from two perspectives. First there’s Jake: he and Amanda both contract a zombie virus (STD, if you must know), which causes them to launch into a “necrotic” (aka zombie) state when overcome by hunger. But the rest of the time, they’re normal kids with consciences and awareness and unusual healing abilities, struggling to survive in a country where the government wants to hunt them down and destroy them. The story is also told from the perspective of Cass, a young psychic who works for the government helping track down the people-eating monsters by following their one-track necrotic minds. Only she starts to question the morality of the projects within her department. So, you can see that it’s the human story that makes it an enjoyable book.


The book is a great combination of humor, action, suspense, with a touch of romance. But I warn you—though it looks like a stand alone, it is not. 

A lot of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment