Salt & Storm by Kendall Kulper
Avery Roe is one in a long line of witches on Prince Island. She wants nothing more than to take her place as the next witch, but her mother has trapped her with a curse, preventing her from learning her grandmother’s magic. When Avery has a dream foretelling her own murder, she becomes desperate to break the curse so she can unlock her magic and prevent her death--so desperate that she reaches out to a tattooed islander boy with strange magic of his own.
This is a story that feels rich with history and atmosphere. Prince Island is home to a whaling community that regularly seeks charms and spells from the Roe witch to protect them at sea, keep their lovers faithful, and protect their wares and goods. I loved the world and magic that Kulper has invented here. She not only
composed beautiful, rich descriptions of the place, she effectively
created a sense of history, tradition and folklore.
As readers,
we feel and see with Avery--including her biases. But I didn't realize
this until later when it becomes clear that Avery's world is more
complicated than she thought. I was surprised by some of the
developments in this book.
The love story was a bit
lacking--told more than shown, underdeveloped. And the pace started to
lag a bit in the middle. But overall it was very good. I loved the atmosphere, the feeling of history, the interesting twists, and the magic itself.
Salt & Storm comes out September 23
No comments:
Post a Comment