I want to review the excellent second novel in the Thickety series, but I don’t want to spoil anything that happens in Book 1, which is a nearly impossible task. This is one of the best and most exciting new children’s fantasy series. So if you haven't, go out and get The Thickety: A Path Begins.
In The Thickety: The Whispering Trees, Kara and her little brother Taff are alone in the darkness of the Thickety, and Sordyr, the evil forest demon, is after them. They have no choice but to trust Mary Kettle, a witch infamous for the ease with which she traded children’s lives for her own magical gain. The only way out, Mary tells them, is to get past Imogen, once a girl, now more of a monster. (And I'll leave it at that, so as not to give away much of this or the last book.)
White maintains the momentum and excitement of the first book throughout the second. This one is a little more like a quest. Kara faces different challenges as she learns to use her gifts and navigate the morality of this magical world. I was constantly amazed by White’s creativity—the creatures (and magic and evils) he invents are oftentimes beyond my wildest imaginings. Once again, White concludes this portion of the story, while still opening a door to the next chapter in what will be a four-book series. I can't wait for the rest!
No comments:
Post a Comment