The Crocodile Who Didn't Like Water by Gemma Marino
"Once upon a time, there was a little crocodile. And this little crocodile didn't like water."
Indeed he looks on wistfully as his brothers and sisters play in the bathtub, in the lake and in the pool. He buys an inner tube (swim ring in the book b/c it's British) with saved tooth fairy money, bound and determined to swim and have fun with the others. But it doesn't work out. He definitely hates water.
Such a fun story. When little crocodile sneezes out fire, he and everyone else realize something--he's not a crocodile. Little dragon, once he figures out who he is, is much happier and can share his gifts with his crocodile siblings. When I read the story a second time, I noticed all sorts of things I didn’t notice before (indicators of little dragon’s true identity). Even the endpapers tell a part of the story. I loved Marino’s illustrations—the style, textures, and expressiveness of her little reptiles. This one is a winner!
No comments:
Post a Comment