Pages

Friday, January 22, 2016

ALA Youth Media Awards 2016

CALDECOTT
Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World’s Most Famous Bear , illustrated by Sophie Blackall, written by Lindsay Mattick
Trombone Shorty illustrated by Bryan Collier, written by Troy Andrews
Waiting, by Kevin Henkes
Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer, Spirit of the Civil Rights Movement, illustrated by Ekua Holmes, written by Carole Boston Weatherford
Last Stop on Market Street, illustrated by Christian Robinson, written by Matt de le Peña

I finally got a hold of Finding Winnie a few days after the awards were announced. I love Sophie Blackall, so I was happy to hear about her win. The illustrations were really nice. I’m underwhelmed by everything else. I don’t get what fuss is about with Waiting. I love Kevin Henkes, but this book didn’t do anything for me. The others just weren’t that high on my list.

NEWBERY
Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña, illustrated by Christian Robinson
The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley
Roller Girl by Victoria Jamieson
Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan

So a picture book wins the Newbery medal. Apparently picture books have won honors in the past, but never the medal. Was this the most distinguished contribution to children’s literature this year? I dunno. I always thought of this award as for chapter books, and it feels a bit like it’s encroaching. But it is nicely written, and it’s a lovely story. But is it the best?

As for the honors, I’m thrilled. I LOVED The War that Saved My Life and Roller Girl. What a surprise Roller Girl was! I’m a fan of Pam Munoz Ryan, though I haven’t read Echo yet.

PRINTZ
Bone Gap by Laura Ruby
Out of Darkness by 
The Ghosts of Heaven by Marcus Sedgwick

I know nothing about these books. Wasn't really on top of YA this year.

GEISEL
Don't Throw it to Mo! by David A. Adler, illustrated by Sam Ricks
A Pig, a Fox, and a Box by Jonathan Fenske
Supertruck by Stephen Savage
Waiting by Kevin Henkes

A bit of an ironic win since this is one of the few years Mo Willems hasn't gotten a medal or honor in this category. Yay Supertruck!!!! A Pig a Fox and a Box is delightful.


Also worth noting are Drum Dream Girl by Margarita Engle, for which Rafael Lopez  received a well deserved Pura Belpre illustrator medal (beautiful, whimsical and vibrant). I also read Sibert honor The Boys Who Challenged Hitler by Phillip Hoose--very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment