I'm just no good at rhyming.
It makes me feel so bad.
I'm just no good at rhyming,
And that's why I am blue.
But in reality, Chris Harris IS good at rhyming in this hilarious collection of clever poetry. Everything about this book is funny, including the dedications, acknowledgments, & author bios. It includes word play, mischief, riddles, reader interaction, stories, and tons of silliness. In “The Good-Child Test,” Harris writes, “I used special ink on this poem’s last line / That some children see and some don’t / If you’re a good child, then you’ll read it just fine — ” And of course the space is left blank (or maybe I'm just a bad child who can't see it??). There’s the “Alphabet Book (by the laziest artist in the world)” where every letter looks the same: “K is for kiwi (halved),” “O is for orchestra pit,” “Q is for quail (under a serving lid)”. “If you ever have to memorize a poem of twenty lines or longer and deliver it to your class, then this is a pretty good choice” is a poem with only two words in it, moderated by intonation. I loved the “Unfair Riddles,” which are exactly what they say they are. Every now and then there is interference from the illustrator (“Sorry, Chris, I have to stop you right there. This poem is too ridiculous. I don’t think I can illustrate it.”). Even his indices are funny. An “Outdex” includes a list of poems not in the book like, “Syrup in Europe Makes Me Therup.” There are even a few sweet poems without a punchline. Lane Smith of Stinky Cheese Man fame has created illustrations that perfectly complement and accentuate the humor. The title says it all, and certainly I must fit the latter category because I laughed my way through the whole thing.


No comments:
Post a Comment