Peace in the Kingdom of Goredd rests on an uneasy treaty between humans and dragons signed 40 years ago. The hyper-rational dragons, who work better with numbers than other beings, often assume human form, living among the citizens of Goredd as teachers, ambassadors, and scholars. As the anniversary of the treaty draws near, the prince is found killed in a typically draconian fashion, and the already existing tensions escalate. Seraphina Dombegh, music teacher in the royal court, finds herself caught between the two sides. At risk of exposing her own perilous secret, Seraphina becomes drawn into the political intrigue and treachery that threatens to destroy the peace that so many have worked so hard to establish.
Hmm, that summary seems inadequate. But I try to keep my summaries sound-bite short so I can pitch them to patrons in a matter of minutes. I was thoroughly impressed with Rachel Hartman's debut novel, Seraphina. From the beginning I could tell that Hartman was not only a skilled writer, but one who had thoroughly prepared and developed her story and mythology. In this intricately plotted story, Hartman weaves together mystery, political intrigue, complicated emotions and relationships, with a sophisticated mythology to form the first volume of a promising new high fantasy series for young adults. With dragons that take human form and think in an entirely foreign way, this is not your typical dragon book. Mature and intelligent like her companions, 16-year-old Seraphina is a thoughtful, likable narrator. It's one of those books that takes a little longer to get into (that and the length may serve as a barrier to some), but the reward for the expository development and detail pays off as readers come to better understand a multifaceted world and fully developed characters. I highly recommend this one. I look forward to the rest of the series.
Watch the trailer:
No comments:
Post a Comment