Pages

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Paris Highlights: Lanvin


On my very last day in Paris, I ran over to the Palais Galliera to see the exhibit on Jeanne Lanvin.


I've never seen such gorgeous clothes before in all my life. Breathtaking! But, of course, no photos. And no photos in the catalog really do the pieces justice. For one, the photos can't capture the exquisite detailing. But also, many pieces are laid out flat, like in the poster above. You can't see the beautiful drape and drama of the dress as it's meant to be--which is on a person (or mannequin). Just look at the difference:

via
So here are a bunch of other people's photos:

This is the first dress I saw when I walked in. So cool. Love the sculptural shape and the black effect that you can't really see in this photo.

"My Fair Lady" dress, 1939
white organdy ribbon on white tulle, with black fastening tape, giving a black effect, large black taffeta knot
There were a number of books/albums of embroidery:


And sometimes they were displayed so you could see the sample next to the beading/embroidery in practice:


Robe de style "Colombine," 1924-25

This is a swimsuit:

Maillot "Vogue," 1924


This dress used alternating ruched ribbons of velvet and satin on tulle.

Left:
Center: Reception enseble, "Revirence," 1938
Right: Indoor dress, "La Fresque," 1933 & Orange crepe dress, 1936


Dress "La Cavallini," 1925




Dress, "Lesbos," 1925


Evening dress, "Bocage," 1933

1920-1921



Evening gown, "Scintillante," 1939








No comments:

Post a Comment