Wow, wow, wow.
This was so exciting to watch this year.
CALDECOTT
This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds, illustrated by Peter Brown
Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett, illustrated by Jon Klassen
Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger
One Cool Friend by Toni Buzzeo, illustrated David Small
Sleep Like a Tiger by Mary Logue, illustrated by Pamela Zagarenski
Woo Hoo!!!! Jon Klassen gets a medal and an honor! (In case you're wondering, that has happened once before in 1947--Leonard Weisgard got the medal and an honor.) This is Not My Hat nearly made it into my picks. Though many people liked Extra Yarn and picked it to win, I'm glad it was This is Not My Hat. I think it's a better book--especially in the illustrations (those undersea scenes are so fantastic). And FIVE honors! Wow! Sleep Like A Tiger got an honor!!!! No one was talking about it, but it so deserves it. And Creepy Carrots!!!!!!! I love to see a silly, funny book, executed really well receive recognition. (read about Peter Brown getting the call on his blog.) Love Love Love Love these books!! Extra Yarn and Green are both wonderful too. And I had not read One Cool Friend--but I grabbed it from the library today, and I can say it's delightful. But I'm not sure why it was selected over so many other wonderful titles (A Home for Bird, Obstinate Pen, Life in the Ocean). I'll review it soon. Overall I'm very pleased and excited about what the Caldecott Committee chose.
NEWBERY
The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate and Patricia Castelao
Splendors and Glooms by Laura Amy Schlitz
Bomb: The Race to Build--and Steal--the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage
I read 2.5 of these. Very happy to see Schlitz and Sheinkin get nods. Three Times Lucky I started and had a hard time getting into; I returned it when I was 1/3-1/2 of the way through. But it may just be children's lit doesn't hold my interest as often as ya stuff does.
PRINTZ
In Darkness by Nick Lake
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Aliro Saenz
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Dodger by Terry Pratchett
The White Bicycle by Beverly Brenna
Talk about wild cards! In Darkness is a surprise, and I've never heard of The White Bicycle (has anyone? totally off the radar). I'm sorry to see no Brides of Rollrock Island, but I'm very happy to see Aristotle and Dante. I knew it had something special. I voted it as an honor in the Pyrite Printz on Someday My Printz Will Come (I was 1 of 4--I feel kinda proud that I picked one that won). And honestly I'm glad Code Name Verity didn't get the gold. It's exciting when the favorite is named as a honor, because it opens up the field, and then you think, who's gonna win if it's not CNV?
GEISEL
Up, Tall, and High by Ethan Long
Let's Go For A Drive by Mo Willems
Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by James Dean and Eric Litwin
Rabbit and Robot: The Sleepover by Cece Bell
Yay! Rabbit and Robot! Yay! I hadn't heard of Up, Tall and High, but I got it from the library today (review to follow), and it's a lot of fun.
MORRIS
Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Wonder Show by Hannah Barnaby
Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo
After the Snow by S. D. Crockett
The Miseducation of Cameron Post by emily m. danforth
Thrilled about Hartman's win, too.
In the Coretta Scott King and Pura Belpre categories, I'd read a three of the winners/honors. I was very happy to see Jacqueline Woodson get an author honor for Each Kindness, and of course, I'm always happy to see Kadir Nelson get recognized.
I think it's safe to say that Aristotle and Dante (Benjamin Alire Saenz), Bomb (Steve Sheinkin), and Jon Klassen (see caldecott section) were the big winners today. Aristotle and Dante got a Printz honor, won the Pura Belpre author award, and won the Stonewall Award (glbt). Meanwhile, Bomb won the Sibert (award for nonfiction), got a Newbery honor, and the YALSA Award for Excellence in Nonfiction for Young Adults. Both books will have so many stickers, I don't know if we'll even be able to see the covers!
No comments:
Post a Comment